My understanding of the blog is that you should write something when an event worth documenting has occurred. Most peoples I saw before coming here seemed to be about something exciting, the birth of a first born, discovering a cure for cancer that afternoon, captaining a world cup winning side etc etc. May I say at the outset that nothing has happened today at all. Well actually that’s a lie.... It’s rained by the bucket.
In fact today has proved King Lear’s assertion - Nothing has come of nothing. It's rained some more, the ground is a saturated quagmire and to fly now would be to ask the pilot to come and share in the misery of those stuck in the project as he would be unable to extract his plane from the gloop he had just landed on.
Apparently it is not so much the landing as the taking off that is the problem. I sense this has been learnt, bitterly, after many years of people having to dig planes out of chocolate pudding like mud. Anyhow instead of continually moaning about a situation that cannot be sorted short of a parachute jump, or as someone suggested, strapping us to a food drop crate and hoping to land butter side up! Take it as read that I’m stuck where I don't want to be unless otherwise stated!
So for the rest of my blog today I’m going to remark on an African musical obsession.……….Billy Ocean.
Wikipedia (Up there with Google Earth in its ability to waist large portions of the day) defines him as..
'A UK based popular music performer, who had a string of rhythm and blues tinged international pop hits in the 1970s and 1980s.'
If you don’t know who he is, watch a mid eighties film and somewhere you’ll hear a Billy Ocean track. Or if you’re really bored with loads of time on your hands, see www.billyocean.co.uk/.
Actually, on that last point seeing as you all have proper jobs that don’t require you to wait around in the dust until it stops raining I think I’m the only one, bored, with loads of time on my hands!
Regardless, this cheesy disco crooner (that's my definition, not wikipedias') who I presumed to have gone the same way as t-shirts that changed color with heat or ninja turtles is enjoying a resurgence in Africa. And he's not even African! The man, apparently, now lives in Milton Keynes! You cannot go anywhere without hearing the strains of some of his, rather poor, mid eighties syth-pop. I've only been here a week and I'm beginning to think that being banished to Milton Keynes is some sort of karma!
That a continent with such wonderful musical heritage is even giving this man airtime is baffling! I just hope this is some 'in' joke I’m missing. Mind you, it could be worse (for worse please see Germanys ongoing obsession with David Hasslehoff, the only man to be out-acted by a talking car!)
I, possibly, could have too much time on my hands. I haven't gone near anyone sick in a few weeks, perhaps I’m heading that way myself as some form of compensation. A sunny few days would be welcome.
