Sunday, August 13, 2006

Fish On A Sunday





Since yesterday.....

  1. It hasn't rained.
  2. Someone found a fish on the landing strip as it dried up! Proof if proof were needed that it has been VERY wet.

Still not sure if tomorrow is going to be the day, but even the most pessimistic seem to think it might be. I've also met up with my immediate boss in the project who flew in for a holiday. She seems lovely and very much on the ball, which is what you want from someone in charge of your overall security! The work, she outlined, that needs to be done is extensive and I lay awake last night thinking of what is being attempted, the task seemed daunting indeed.

In many of these places we are not the alternative to shabby run down local health care service the we ARE the healthcare service. Certainly a sentence that grabbed my attention!

Anyway we will see how it all pans out. I'll try to write as often as possible, but there may be long periods when I can't write anything as many of the sites I'm visiting don't have access to clean water, let alone e-mail or satellite communications, please keep checking for updates as the whole reason for writing this is to provide a small insight into the current situation, as I see it, rather than a sanatised media version which, in terms of Africa is all many of us have been privy to. Once I get out for a holiday, at some point in October, I'll post some pictures.

Hopefully some form of flying movement tomorrow, but after so many false dawns I'm not sure I'll quite believe it until the planes wheels have touched the landing strip..............minus fish!