Friday, December 08, 2006

Ten Things I’ve learnt Since Being Here.

I’m nearly at the halfway mark and I’m in retrospective mood. So I thought I
’d write down a few truths that have become apparent since my arrival. In no
particular order here we go……..

1) The notion of ‘sterile’ is a relative concept.

2) Any medical device, including IV lines, Naso-gastric tubes,
catheters etc can be made to attach any other medical device if you push the
two ends together with enough vigour!

3) Any food in a tin (cheese, mackerel, peaches etc) can become
strangely addictive.

4) Chicken farming is much more complicated than it would first appear.

5) People will work through the most extraordinarily difficult
circumstances with, almost nothing, to keep a clinic open. And save hundreds
of lives in the process.

6) How the western/‘developed’ world deals with the African ‘problem’
leaves an awful lot to be desired.

7) Having said that foreign aid CAN make a difference if (and it’s an
oft forgotten ‘if’) it is directed in the right way. When this does not
happen it often does more harm than positive good.

8) The IPOD solar charger is beyond criticism.

9) Sometimes even the simplest improvement in practice can yield
fantastically impressive results.

10) The world isn’t fair. I think I knew this already, but the last few
months have confirmed it.