Friday, October 13, 2006

All Guns Blazing

Well, I thought the last entry was going to be the ... er ... Last (!) for a little while. But the saying about other plans and life happening is becoming more pertinent every day.
I was taking a bit of a stroll in Nairobi, through the downtown area, full of high rise buildings and the normal sights and sounds of any modern metropolis. At this point, and quite close to me, there was a commotion by the side of a bank. People began running in all directions. Not long after this I heard the very loud, very close, unmistakable sound of gunfire.

It's perhaps an indication of how long I've been out here that this didn't particularly worry me, and, really rather calmly, I simply popped into the first shop with an open door, as the shooting continued. As I cowered with everybody else behind the counter I looked around me I realised I had made a fundamentally bad choice when it came to a choice of venue to hide from armed robbers. Being, as I was, in a very large jewelry store!

Another few shots and it was all over. As I emerged back onto the street (having first got a new watch battery from my new found sanctuary) it was as if nothing had happened. Apart from some men walking around with unfeasible large machine guns. I later gleaned more information on the evening news. The police had apparently simply shot the three robbers dead. Which saves on all those messy things like criminal justice.

Anyway after all that excitement it's time to go back to a place where I half expect events like this. I'm just sat in a internet cafe at the moment, using up the last of my cash, and listening to africas favorite crooner... Yes that's right.... Billy Ocean's musical empire seems almost infinite! I wonder if I've enough cash left for an album?? (note to 'self, don't even THINK about it!)